- For the turkey glaze
- 350ml pomegranate treacle
- 180g prepared horseradish, drained
- 45g Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- For the turkey
- 1 (about 6.8kg) fresh turkey
- 115g unsalted butter, softened
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 900ml homemade chicken stock or low-sodium canned broth
1) Preheat oven to 220°C / gas mark 8.
2) Whisk together pomegranate treacle, horseradish, mustard, salt, and coarsely ground black pepper.
Set aside and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 mins before using to allow the flavours to meld.
3) Remove the neck, heart and gizzard from inside of the turkey. Rinse the bird inside and out with cold water and pat dry.
Reduce the heat to 180°C/ gas mark 4 and continue roasting, basting with some of the chicken stock every 15 minutes, for about one hour and fifteen minutes longer. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh should register 71°C.)
4) During the last 15 minutes of roasting, stop basting with the chicken stock and brush the entire turkey with 240ml of the pomegranate glaze.