About the Workshop: Transitioning into adulthood and the community beyond high school can be challenging for individuals with autism and their families. Comprehensive transition planning can help to manage the challenges during this time and maximize potential for each person to live a full and meaningful life.
The Launch Program was developed to help families prepare for and respond to key life transitions, and to guide the journey from adolescence to adulthood.
It helps families to focus on discovering personal strengths and areas for growth based on their youth’s individual interests, abilities, and needs by answering three key questions:
- Where are we now? (Assessment)
- Where do we want to go? (Goal Setting)
- How are we going to get there? (Implementation)
We are pleased to offer a workshop series called Launch into Life! that helps families to create an Individualized Transition Plan for their child and provides valuable information in the following domains:
- Education and Employment
- Health and Well Being
- Communication and Social Relationships
- Independent Living Skills and Self-Advocacy
- Legal and Financial Issues
Note: Families MUST be available for both sessions:
- Thursday, October 19th – 6:30pm – 9:00pm (Parents)
- Saturday, October 21st – 9:00am – 3:00pm (Parents and Youth)
Who should attend? Families and young people (13+) living with ASD and other developmental disabilities. Youth attendance is not mandatory, but welcome. Youth who do choose to attend, should be able to participate in a facilitated breakout session independently to identify their goals and create a shared vision.
For more information please contact the Autism Society of BC by calling 604-434-0880