The purpose of The Nelson Self-Advocacy Group is to encourage people with disabilities to take more control over their own lives, make their own decisions, solve their own problems, and speak for themselves. We build awareness and education of the strengths, rights, wants, and needs of people with disabilities.
The direction of the group will be member-driven and therefore the group could take on several forms.
The group may decide to become more activist with letter writing and protest activities; or the group could simply remain a supportive environment to share and build new friendships.
Educating ourselves on topics related to self-advocacy will always be included and special guest speakers may also be invited to further inform our members.
What is the role of the advisor?
My name is Matthew and I am the advisor to the group. My job is to attend all meetings and make sure that the group is following all rules and agreements.
I also organize the meeting’s structure while making sure everyone feels welcome and has a chance to speak.
I will also be providing educational material and presentations on topics related to self-advocacy.
I will do my best to ensure that all group decisions are followed through; however, I am not “the boss” because the members make all the important decisions by a vote.
Meeting Procedure: What to expect.
- Meetings will begin with a welcome and recitation of the rules.
- Then a small check-in will occur where people have a chance to speak briefly. People can always pass if they do not want to speak.
- The business of the meeting will start with a breakdown of the agenda decided upon the previous meeting, this is called old business.
- This will be written in large letters at the front with pictures beside them.
- Then people will have an opportunity to add new business to the meeting schedule.
- After old and new business is discussed, the group will set an agenda for the next meeting.
- The meeting will conclude with unstructured social time.
To Contact The Nelson Self-Advocacy Group
Advisor: Matthew Wilson-Birks
Nelson CARES Society
521 Vernon Street
Nelson, BC, V1L 4E9
Ph. 250-352-6011 ex. 18
The Nelson Self Advocacy Group Events be Here
The Nelson Self Advocacy Group Agenda and Minutes Here