Selfadvocatenet.com in support of Community Inclusion Month October 2022
This Page in recognizing Community Inclusion Month.
Selfadvocatenet.com will highlight the achievements, events and awareness throughout month of October
First part is what is Community Inclusion Month.
The B.C. government has proclaimed October 2022 as Community Inclusion Month. In the month of October, communities across B.C. are promoting inclusion, celebrating diversity, and bringing awareness to the strengths and abilities of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Province of British Columbia Proclamation
Community Living Month Events 2022
Community Inclusion Month 2022
Community Living BC is pleased to join the Province, Inclusion BC and many communities in recognizing October as Community Inclusion Month. The month is an opportunity to recognize the hard work of individuals, families and community members who create inclusive communities and opportunities for all British Columbians with developmental disabilities.
This year the proclamation recognizes the importance of inclusive housing, employment, health and well-being and self-determined Indigenous strategies, all of which are part of a provincial Re-Imagining Community Inclusion initiative. You can read the government proclamation here.
Below you can also find Community Inclusion Month proclamations from communities across B.C. as well as local celebrations to mark the month and stories and highlights.
During Community Inclusion Month, CLBC will be recognizing people who make our communities more inclusive through our Widening Our World (WOW) awards. We look forward to announcing the winners in the coming days on our website here.
You can recognize Community Inclusion Month and find related updates on social media channels by using the hashtag is #CommunityInclusionMonth
- Gibsons – see a picture of self advocates meeting with Gibsons Mayor Bill Beamish here
- Powell River
This year, many communities are hosting in person celebrations and events and for many, this is a welcomed step forward. We hope that this year, you celebrate Community Inclusion Month in a way that is safe and comfortable for you whether in person or virtual. Here are some of the events taking place:
- Pathways Annual Inclusion Chain and the City of Kelowna ‘Community Inclusion Month’ Proclamation – October 5
- Life After School Transition Committee (LAST) Community Inclusion BBQ & Party in Maple Ridge – October 5
- Screening of OKAY! (The ASD Band Film) at Vancouver International Film Festival – October 5 & 8
- Inclusion Art Show & Sale in Vancouver – In-person show on October 6, Online show October 6-13
- Inclusion Fest 2022 in Roberts Creek – October 12
- MLA Kelli Paddon and CLBC Upper Fraser Community Council host Community Inclusion Month celebration in Chilliwack – October 14
- Fun Fair & Celebration of PAACL’s 65th Anniversary in Port Alberni – October 18
- A Success Story, presentation by Krystian Shaw to mark 9 years of the Kamloops Self Advocate Newsletter – October 22
- White Rock Zombie Walk hosted by UNITI in partnership with the City of White Rock – October 30
Highlights and stories
We will regularly update this page throughout the month and our Facebook and Twitter pages to promote community events, share stories, and other initiatives that recognize and celebrate this important month.
We want to hear directly about what’s happening in your community. You can let us know at CLBCInfo@gov.bc.ca and we will help spread the word.
This on CLBC Website go to the link here