The Flower Cart Group provides jobs and skills for adults living with barriers
November 27, 2020 · New Minas, NS · Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
Strong communities work together to provide opportunities for everyone to participate in an inclusive economy. Making sure every Canadian has an equal and fair chance at success is not just the right thing to do, it is the smart thing to do.
The Flower Cart Group is a collection of social enterprises helping adults with diverse abilities gain skills and employment. The non-profit group provides affordable production and manufacturing services to local food entrepreneurs. These partnerships support growth and provide jobs for people who face employment barriers. Demand is so high that the organization has outgrown its current facilities and has a waiting list of local businesses seeking its services.
A community in which all citizens are fully included and accepted
Today, Kody Blois, Member of Parliament for Kings-Hants, on behalf of the Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Economic Development and Official Languages, announced a non-repayable contribution of $1 million to The Flower Cart Group to support a project to build a new facility and buy specialized equipment.
The $5.86 million facility will include a federally inspected contract manufacturing plant where local food entrepreneurs can access affordable manufacturing to scale production for new markets. This investment will provide meaningful employment and training opportunities that enrich the lives of participants and support the growth of partnering agri-food businesses.
The Government of Canada is committed to helping Atlantic Canadian communities access the tools they need to strengthen their infrastructure, while providing inclusive opportunities for all residents- so they can continue to grow and thrive long after the COVID-19 pandemic is over.
“We’re taking action to ensure all Atlantic Canadians have an opportunity to participate in an inclusive economy. Social enterprises like The Flower Cart Group provide good local jobs, offer skills development and support local economies in communities across the country. Our message is clear: we’re working with you to build an equal, competitive, sustainable and fair Canada where communities have the support they need to succeed.”
– The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Economic Development and Official Languages and Minister responsible for ACOA
“Every Canadian deserves to feel part of a community and I’m pleased to see the government helping The Flower Cart Group achieve that today in New Minas. Since 1970, The Flower Cart Group has created an inclusive workplace in partnership with local businesses, and today’s investment will help more people find meaningful employment and training by scaling production for new markets.”
– Kody Blois, Member of Parliament for Kings-Hants
“This support from ACOA will have a tremendous impact on both the people that work and train at The Flower Cart Group and our local economy. Our new vocational and social enterprise facility will provide expanded opportunities to close to 200 Flower Cart Group participants to realize their potential. The Flower Cart Group has a long standing history of partnering with the business community and this centre will build on those successes and continue to grow our local economy.”
– Jeff Kelly, Executive Director, The Flower Cart Group
- The Flower Cart Group is a volunteer-led, non-profit society that houses social enterprises, providing employment opportunities for adults with intellectual barriers.
- The organization is funded by government, charitable donations, and revenue generated by contract manufacturing services provided to local food producers.
- Support for this project is provided through the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency’s (ACOA) Innovative Communities Fund (ICF).
- The Flower Cart Group is launching a $5.8 million capital campaign to raise funds for the new facility. The campaign has over $4 million — nearly 70 percent of the total goal — in pledges and funding commitments from government, corporate and private donors.
Office of the Minister of Economic
Development and Official Languages
Communications Director, Nova Scotia
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
The Flower Cart Group
This on Govt of Canada website go to the link here