Selfadvocatenet.com recipe for month of June
The cooks at Taste of Home made a lightened-up version of my shrimp casserole, and I love it.
The makeover has only half the calories and sodium of my original recipe, and less fat, too. —Marie Roberts, Lake Charles, Louisiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD: 6 servings.
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1.In a large nonstick skillet, saute shrimp in 1 tablespoon butter for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender.
- 2. Stir in the flour, salt and cayenne. Gradually add milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add rice, 1/2 cup cheese and the shrimp; stir until combined.
- 3. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This on website called Taste of Home go to the link get this recipe click here