The purpose of The Nelson Self-Advocacy Group is to encourage people with disabilities to take more control over their own lives, make their own decisions, solve their own problems, and speak for themselves. We build awareness and education of the strengths, rights, wants, and needs of people with disabilities.
The direction of the group will be member-driven and therefore the group could take on several forms.
The group may decide to become more activist with letter writing and protest activities; or the group could simply remain a supportive environment to share and build new friendships.
Educating ourselves on topics related to self-advocacy will always be included and special guest speakers may also be invited to further inform our members.
What is the role of the advisor?
My name is Matthew and I am the advisor to the group. My job is to attend all meetings and make sure that the group is following all rules and agreements.
I also organize the meeting’s structure while making sure everyone feels welcome and has a chance to speak.
I will also be providing educational material and presentations on topics related to self-advocacy.
I will do my best to ensure that all group decisions are followed through; however, I am not “the boss” because the members make all the important decisions by a vote.
Meeting Procedure: What to expect.
- Meetings will begin with a welcome and recitation of the rules.
- Then a small check-in will occur where people have a chance to speak briefly. People can always pass if they do not want to speak.
- The business of the meeting will start with a breakdown of the agenda decided upon the previous meeting, this is called old business.
- This will be written in large letters at the front with pictures beside them.
- Then people will have an opportunity to add new business to the meeting schedule.
- After old and new business is discussed, the group will set an agenda for the next meeting.
- The meeting will conclude with unstructured social time.
To Contact The Nelson Self-Advocacy Group
Check out Nelson Self Advocacy Group
Social Media Page
The Nelson Self Advocacy Group Click on Petitions
The Nelson Self Advocacy Group Dates be Here
Tomorrow, Thursday, April 18th, is our monthly meeting.
Our meetings take place every third Thursday of the month and always run from 1:00-3: 00 pm, but please come and go as you wish.
Location 518 Lake Street, in the Community Health Coop.
Hope to see you all there,
The Nelson Self-Advocacy Group
General Office Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 8:00 -4:00 pm
Ph. 250-352-6011 ex. 5271
Events of Nelson Self Advocacy Group
This Thursday, the 16th of May is our mask-themed social & dance.
Bring a mask or fashion one at the party (nothing spooky or scary, just fun and flashy).
$2 dollar entry fee and 1$ snacks go into funding future dances; same goes for our wildly popular raffle draws; 3 tickets for a dollar and numerous prizes.
Runs from 6-8pm; hope to see you all there with masks on.
For more information:
Nelson CARES Society
250.352.6011 ext. 15
Nelson CARES Society
The Nelson Self Advocacy Group Newsletter be here
The Nelson Self Advocacy Group Agenda and Minutes Here