THE SELFADVOCATE.NET WEBSITE RESPECTS ALL INDIVIDUALS’ RIGHT TO PRIVACY.
- SELFADVOCATE.NET will follow the laws in British Columbia and Canada to keep personal information safe and protected.
- Personal information given to SELFADVOCATE.NET by a stakeholder will only be used in ways that the stakeholder approves of.
What is personal information? Personal information is information such as your:
- Phone number
- Medical reports
- Any other private reports that identify who you are
Personal information can be given, used, and shared in ways such as:
- Through a computer
People can give SELFADVOCATE.NET their okay to collect, keep, use, or share personal information in writing or by speaking to SELFADVOCATE.NET staff.
Who owns and controls personal information?
- Personal information belongs to each person.
- Adults have the power to make the decisions about how their personal information is collected, used, and shared with others.
- Sometimes, a family member or advocate of an adult has the power by law to make decisions about the person’s personal information.
- Children’s parents or legal guardians have the power to make the decisions about how their personal information is collected, used, and shared with others.
- The information that SELFADVOCATE.NET has about a person will not be shared without that person’s or guardian’s approval.
What rights do I have with my personal information?
- People have the right to look at or check their personal information at any time to make sure it is correct.
- People can ask that information be changed if they believe the information is wrong.
- People have the right to take away SELFADVOCATE.NET’s permission to use their personal information, and SELFADVOCATE.NET will stop right away.
- SELFADVOCATE.NET will clearly tell the stakeholder what the possible results would be for taking away their consent.
How does SELFADVOCATE.NET use personal information?
- SELFADVOCATE.NET will inform all stakeholders about how it will use personal information before or when the person gives the information to us.
- SELFADVOCATE.NET will not use personal information for other reasons without asking for the person’s okay unless required by law, or if there was a large concern about the person’s health and safety.
How will my personal information be protected?
SELFADVOCATE.NET will protect personal information in ways such as:
- Locked cabinets
- Password codes to computers
- Confidentiality statements signed by all SELFADVOCATE.NET staff
- Putting files away as soon as they are finished being used
SELFADVOCATE.NET has a Privacy Officer who makes sure all the British Columbia and Canada laws and SELFADVOCATE.NET policies about keeping personal information safe and protected are followed.
If you have a question or concern or want to make a complaint about how personal information is collected, kept, used, or shared, please contact SELFADVOCATE.NET’s Privacy Officer:
Shelley Rath H.R./Quality Improvement Manager