Victoria Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:00 PM
Building on the success of its Rapid Response to Homelessness program, the Government of British Columbia has launched the Building BC: Supportive Housing Fund.
This investment will provide $1.2 billion over 10 years to build and operate 2,500 units of supportive housing for people who are experiencing homelessness or who are at risk of homelessness.
A call for expressions of interest has been issued to identify non-profit housing providers interested in providing property management and support services for new housing projects under the Supportive Housing Fund.
Non-profit housing providers selected to operate these projects will provide support services including, but not limited to:
- Individual or group support services, such as life skills, community information, social and recreational programs;
- Case planning and resident needs assessments;
- Connecting residents to community supports and services, such as education, employment, health, life skills, long-term housing;
- A meal program;
- Supporting residents to maintain their homes, such as directly assisting with room maintenance and resident rent contributions and/or repayment plans; and
- Help in accessing income assistance, pension benefits, disability benefits, obtaining a B.C. identification card or establishing a bank account as appropriate.
Service providers will be selected based upon the requirements of each specific community.
- BC Housing will lead the creation of the new Supportive Housing Fund projects in partnership with non-profit housing providers, government authorities and community groups. The buildings and land will be owned by the Province.
- In addition to the support services funded by BC Housing, clinical services for supportive housing residents may be established through partnerships with health authorities and programs, such as multi-agency intensive case management teams, which provide targeted supports for tenants in need.
- The expression of interest package is available at MERX Canadian Public Tenders: www.merx.com/bch
It is also available at BC Housing: www.bchousing.org/partner-services/funding-opportunities-for-housing-providers
- Other Building BC programs launched as part of Budget 2018 include:
- Building BC: Community Housing Fund – close to $1.9 billion over 10 years to deliver 14,350 affordable new rental homes, built through partnerships with municipalities, non-profit housing providers, housing co-operatives and Indigenous organizations.
- Building BC: Women’s Transition Housing Fund – $734 million over 10 years to build and operate 1,500 new units of housing, including transition houses, safe homes, second-stage and long-term housing.
- Building BC: Indigenous Housing Fund – $550 million over 10 years to build and operate 1,750 units of social housing, both on- and off-reserve.
Building BC: Supportive Housing Fund: www.bchousing.org/partner-services/Building-BC/supportive-housing-fund
Read Homes for B.C., government’s 30-point plan to address housing affordability for British Columbians: bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2018/homesbc/2018_Homes_For_BC.pdf
This on BC Govt website click here