Selfadvocatenet.com Recipe of the Month for October (Fall Recipe )
Prep Ready In
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes or one 14- ½-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15- to 19-ounce can white kidney beans (cannellini beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup small broccoli and/or cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes.
- 2Stir in broth, squash, and undrained tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add beans, zucchini, broccoli, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook for 5 minutes more. If desired, sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
- Variation: Slow Cooker Version: Omit olive oil. In a 3- ½- to 4-quart slow cooker combine onion, celery, carrot, garlic, broth, squash, tomatoes, beans and dried oregano (if using).
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3- ½ to 4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn cooker to high-heat setting. Add zucchini, broccoli, fresh oregano (if using), salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes more. Serve as above.
This From Website Called Eating well go to this link