Self Advocates for a Brighter Future (commonly known as “SABF”) was started June 6, 2007, by self advocates and support persons of BeConnected Support Services and Kardel Consulting. SABF is an open group, which means anybody is able to join.
In early 2015 SABF opened up a new chapter in Duncan serving self advocates in the Cowichan Valley.
SABF meets once monthly, more frequently when we are working on a project; and has a “Leadsership Panel” group that meets separately.
What type of projects do we work on?
SABF has undertaken a number of projects over the years including:
– Having a lead part in the making (writing/scripting, acting, filming, producing, and editing) “Values and Principles of Community Living,” which many BC agencies use for training purposes with their staff and contractors. Check out the video here!
– Hosting book launches and cd release parties: for Barb Goode’s book in 2011, Sheenagh Morrison’s book in 2014, and Peter Bourne’s cd in 2014.
|– With the help from community leaders, we created a game, SANGO, for self-advocates and other audiences. Two SABF self advocate leaders played it with CLBC’s Board of Directors; we have played it at conferences, with our own and other self-advocacy groups, and with the South Island Community Council.|
– Organizing, setting up, and running the refreshment stand at Victoria’s ONE DAY annual event in September.
For the most current information about the One Day event please visit their Facebook page.
– Co-hosting an event each year in celebration of the UN’s International Day for People with Disabilities (Diversabilities) on December 3rd. In December 2018 we will be partnering with other agencies to host a Self Advocacy Film Festival at the University of Victoria for the third year! Find out more information here!
– Hosting a number of special speakers, including UVic researchers, self advocate leaders from around the province, and other community leaders.
Prior to each provincial election, we have hosted an all-candidates meeting with local politicians.– Most of all – we have fun and learn together.
Sabf Events of the group here
SABF Meeting Information
SABF meets on the second Tuesday of the month September through June.
The following is a collection of posters from our most recent SABF meetings.March 2020 February 2020 January 2020 *Postponed one week due to snow December 2019 November 2019 October 2019 September 2019 June 2019 – Spring Fling BBQ May 2019 April 2019
SABF Cowichan Valley
|In March 2015, SABF opened up a new chapter in Duncan serving individuals in the Cowichan Valley! Just like in Victoria, the Cowichan Valley group meets monthly to learn about self-advocacy and have fun together! We try to end each meeting with an interactive game or activity. For more information contact Karla at email@example.com or (250) 748-3858.|
For the most up-to-date information about SABF,
please visit us on Facebook!