Recipe of the Month for February 2017
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup Recipe
Love it? Pin it to your SOUP board to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
This soup is delicious, healthy and filling! It’s easy to make and perfect for lunch or afternoon snack.
It’s bright, colorful and loaded with all kinds of vegetables (and you can easily sub in whatever veggies you like or have on hand).
Of course this soup isn’t the magic weight loss secret but if you’re trying to cut calories this is perfect to have in your fridge ready to enjoy when you need a snack or a quick meal!
It’s loaded with flavor, fills your belly and is naturally low in calories and fat.
When we are trying to cut back (usually in January after the holidays) we enjoy a small bowl of this soup before each meal. (And if you follow Weight Watchers, this is a 0 point soup… a freebie and it’s 21 day fix approved) or I use it as a snack to tide me over until dinner.
If you want to make this into a main course, you can add in leftover chicken or turkey or even ground turkey along with cooked brown rice, quinoa or even whole wheat noodles. Add in any veggie you like. I sometimes make this to use up veggies in the fridge.
It’s very versatile and you can swap or add any veggie to make this to your liking or swap beef broth for chicken.
This vegetable soup recipe is great because it can be made on the weekend to enjoy throughout the week and it freezes well. I spoon it into single servings and portion it into freezer bags. They’re easy to take out for a quick meal or snack.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups chopped cabbage (approx. ¼ head of cabbage)
- 1 cup green beans (1″ pieces)
- 2 whole bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon each thyme & basil
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- In a large pot cook onion & garlic over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Add carrots, cabbage & green beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and seasonings. Simmer 6-7 minutes.
- Add in zucchini & broccoli. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
NOTE: Nutritional information below is generated from MyFitnessPal.com and is based on the quantities, amounts and brands of products I used in this recipe. Actual amounts may vary based on your preparation and products used. Informational purposes only, this is not medical information or advice.